Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

Curiosities and Exploration

Today, I have been thinking a lot about the field work I have coming up this summer. Overcast days in late April/early May make me tired and cranky, and unfortunately not all that motivated. But this week I started preparing for the upcoming work I will be conducting the Caribbean. The amount of time, effort, planning, and thinking that goes into a measly 14 days in the field is daunting. I started planning this trip a year ago, before last year's field work even started and that's just how things go for scientists. Living our lives grant to grant, there is no time for relaxation. Last June I submitted the grant to conduct this project, did not hear I had received the money until October, and then trying to get three busy scientists on the same schedule and that schedule to coincide with available space at the field station: it's enough to drive you mad.

But now is the time when the excitement and trepidation builds. I convinced someone, somewhere that I am the most qualified person to conduct this research. I beat out other highly motivated and qualified graduate students for the money. What if it doesn't work? What was I thinking telling someone I can do this? But then I take a deep breath, re-read my proposal, and remind myself that I don't have any other choice but to do it. Now I look at the list I made of the lists I need to write (yes, I make plans to make plans) and I cannot wait. The supplies have started to roll in, the chemicals are getting ordered (with permits, yuck!), and my dive gear is getting certified. In six short weeks, over a year of planning and worrying will come to a head, I will be stepping off the boat onto this island, and it will be time to sink or swim (literally and figuratively). This last chapter of my dissertation will be one step closer.


Carrie Bow Cay, Belize, for better or worse, I will be there soon!

Love to all!
- Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment