Pages

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Ocean

It is a pretty safe assumption that I have a minor (some may say major) obsession with all things ocean. Which is a good thing, since my career is built around exploring and attempting to understand the ocean's diversity. So how did a girl from the Midwest, become obsessed? Growing up about as far as one can get from the ocean, all I learned about the sea came from three sources: the movie The Little Mermaid, the book Rainbow Fish, and summer vacations to the coast. Luckily my parents fostered a sense of curiosity and adventure regarding the ocean and island lifestyles. Come to think of it, it's possible that all came from the endless stream of Jimmy Buffett music playing in our house.

While most kids put a plant in the dark or test the fastest matchbox car for the science fair, I planned months in advance building wave simulators with my dad to test efficacy of erosion preventer devices or convincing my computer engineer neighbor to help me make a program to test the interference of different sound wavelengths with whale communication. My excitement for the ocean came on early, and continues to persist to this day. I have what I've penned Reverse-Ariel Syndrome (I can do that since I took a psych class in college); Ariel wanted to be part of our world, well I want to be a part of hers. Every single time I get in the water to work, I find something new to amaze me and stun me with wonder. I know I have flooded my site with underwater pictures, but I'm pretty sure you only come to look at the pictures anyway. Without further ado, I'll leave you with just a small sampling of that which awes me every, single day.

 (Zebra lionfish I sampled today)
 (Zebra lionfish playing dead, don't worry he was fine)
 (Octopus on this morning's dive)
 (Beautiful Kenting sunset)
 (Coral in Taiwan)
 (Coral with polyps out in Honduras)
 (Spotted eagle ray in Honduras)
 (Eel in Key Largo)
 (One of my favorite reef shots from Key Largo)
 (Here sharky, sharky, sharky)
(Releasing the lionfish back out today)

Love to all!
-Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment