Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Taiwanese Night Markets

Imagine, if you will, a place to go where you can buy exotic fruits, whole grilled squid on a stick, and of course stinky tofu, play skeeball and ring toss, buy clothes, shoes, and yes even pets. Can't imagine it? Well, walk into a Taiwanese night market and it will all smack you right in the face. Night markets might be the best thing ever. No, but seriously, they have made it into my top 5 favorite things to do. We have now been to 3 different night markets, and every time I'm amazed and excited. We started at the Shilin Night Market in Taipei, which was very, very intense. It is huge, loud, and extremely touristy. But I did have my first taste of wonderful Taiwanese fried chicken and bell fruit there, so it will always have a special place in my heart. I've posted some of these pictures previously, but I'm showing them to you again because it was that great.

 (A pretty terrible picture of Shilin)
 (Nom nom nom...fried chicken!)
 (First taste of pineapple beer)
(With Lizzy!)

While my experience at Shilin revolved around food, and not very adventurous food at that, the night market in Kenting revolved more around fun. I did eat some delicious fried sweet potatoes, which taste like super tasty funnel cakes, at Kenting, but mostly we played games and shopped.
 (We were pretty good dart throwers)
 (Cammie playing balloon darts)
(Showing off the sweet glitter headband and nerd glasses she bought)

We had so much fun at the Kenting market, and I cannot wait to go back! This evening we ventured out with some of the Aquarium students to the closer night market in Hengchun. I stepped a little further out the box this time. Baby steps people, I'm trying to work my way up to stinky tofu! Tonight's night market served one purpose: dinner! I bought some wonderful savory and sweet breads (stocked up for the week), a fried banana pancake with chocolate sauce, and....drumroll please... an oyster pancake (see picture below). The oyster pancake was not terrible. I even enjoyed a few of the bites. BUT it had a weird texture, kind of a mix between an undercooked pancake and grits. Will I get it again? Probably not. But it was worth a shot.
 (Hengchun Night Market)
 (Dwarf Bunnies for sale: how much trouble would I be in smuggling one home?)
 (Typical food stand)
 (The blender on the right held our amazing blended mango with ice)
(Ready to eat! Top left: oyster omelet. Top right: some of the breads. 
Bottom right: fried banana)

So far, I'd have to say that the Kenting market is my favorite. And I cannot wait to go back to it next weekend when I'm back down there! But that's like picking a favorite ice cream when you know they are all delicious.

Love to all!
-Jules

No comments:

Post a Comment